Many patients prefer the use of alternative medicine techniques that trigger the body’s natural healing process and help it function at an optimal level. When it comes to treating children, many parents feel more comfortable trying natural therapies rather than potent medications or invasive diagnostic or surgical procedures. Chiropractic adjustments or spinal manipulations for children have grown in popularity in the United States, particularly here in southern California. In fact, chiropractic care is the second most popular type of alternative or complementary treatment for children (the use of natural herbs is the most popular).
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Kids
So why are parents seeking chiropractic care for their children? What are the benefits of chiropractics for kids? What conditions can it relieve? According to research and patients, chiropractic care can:
- Enhance brain and nerve development
- Improve the child’s health and boost the immune system
- Reduce the occurrence of colic and irritable baby syndrome
- Improve breathing and reduce asthma and allergies
- Improve posture
- Improve the child’s concentration and reduce the occurrence of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Improve mood and reduce the potential for behavioral disorders
- Resolve digestive problems
- Reduce the incidence of bed-wetting and other sleeping problems
- Reduce headaches
- Improve the child’s ability to breastfeed
The Science Behind It
The spinal cord is an important part of the body’s central nervous system. It protects the nerves that transmit information between the brain and the rest of the body. According to chiropractic thought, the function of the central nervous system is impaired when the spine is not properly aligned. If one vertebrae becomes slightly displaced, which in chiropractic terms is called vertebral subluxation, it can adversely affect nerve impulses. When these lines of communication are distorted, foggy, or otherwise damaged, the patient can suffer from a range of problems. In children, these vertebral subluxation may manifest in the form of colic, recurring colds or earaches, respiratory infection, acid reflux, neck pain, back pain, or other issues.
The Causes of Spinal Misalignment in Children
The spine can become misaligned due to an auto accident, fall, or picking up heavy objects. In children, minor displacement could be caused by:
- The birthing process
- Being carried in a baby wrap, baby backpack, or Baby Bjorn
- Repetitive movements
- Minor accidents
- Falls when learning how to walk
- Rough housing or throwing young children up in the air
- Too much time in baby carriers
- Changing of the diaper
Chiropractic care may be performed on newborns, babies, toddlers, and other young children, in addition to teenagers and adults. When performing spinal manipulations on babies and young children, Dr. Nathen Horst will be sure to be as gentle as possible. We invite parents to sit in on the chiropractic adjustment appointment to help them feel more comfortable during the process.
To schedule a chiropractic appointment for your son or daughter with Dr. Horst, please contact us today. Dr. Horst and our staff will be happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have about the benefits or safety of chiropractic care for children.