We’ve all seen it before. An athletic competition that is so close it keeps fans on the edge of their seats until the final seconds of the match wind down. Because so many sporting events come down to the wire, most dedicated athletes commit to advanced training techniques and special care of their bodies to give them an advantage over competitors. One method that is often overlooked by local athletes in Temecula and Murrieta is the use of chiropractics to improve athletic performance. Evidence supporting the benefits of regular chiropractic adjustments is growing, and a large number of professional athletes attend routine appointments to improve body function, make the body more resilient to injury, and maximize healing from sports injuries.
The Benefits of Regular Chiropractic Adjustments
- Correction of Vertebral Subluxations: When the vertebrae become fixed, or subluxated, they put more pressure on the nerves. With chiropractic care, Dr. Nathen Horst can physically realign the spine to encourage fluid movement of the vertebrae and restore optimal nerve function.
- Improved Nerve Impulses: When the vertebrae are putting pressure on the nerves, it can inhibit their impulses and function. Relieving the pressure caused by minor misalignment improves performance.
- More Efficient Communication between the Brain and Body: Releasing the tension on the nerves enhances communication between the brain and every other part of the body. This in turn can improve an athletes reflexes and agility.
- Improved Healing: Because chiropractic care is a holistic approach that treats the underlying cause of the injury or problem, treatment is highly effective. Regular adjustments to enhance body efficiency, as well as chiropractic care after an injury occurs, encourages the body’s natural healing process.
Chiropractic Care vs. Other Treatments
When it comes to the treatment of sports injuries, chiropractic care offers a number of advantages over other treatments.
- Medication: The use of medication can significantly delay communication between the body and brain, obstruct nerve impulses, and slow reflexes.
- Surgery: Surgery tends to result in long recovery periods, and could prevent athletes from finishing out their seasons. There are also various risks associated with surgery.
With chiropractic adjustments, athletes can undergo natural healing of the body. These techniques keep athletes in the game with a clear head. Although in some cases medication and surgery may be necessary, chiropractic care can be an alternative or complementary treatment.
Chiropractors and Professional Athletes
Still not convinced that chiropractic care can benefit athletes? Just look to the professionals. A large number of NFL players are referred to chiropractors to improve performance and treat injuries. In fact, about a third of the teams even have a chiropractor on staff. These chiropractors are there to manage injuries, prevent injuries, and enhance performance. In addition to football, athletes from all other types of sports can benefit from chiropractics, including runners, baseball players, and basketball players. In fact many famous athletes have spoken publicly about the advantages of chiropractic adjustments, including Barry Bonds, Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods, and Lance Armstrong.
If you are an athlete in Temecula, Murrieta, or surrounding areas, we invite you to schedule a chiropractic appointment with Dr. Horst. Dr. Horst can evaluate your condition and re-align your spine to restore optimal function to the entire body.